Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Caucasia Part II

As the reading has started to come to a close, things are really starting to heat up. I was so surprised and dumbfounded when Patrice just decides to run back to Boston after the party in New Hampshire. I like this part though, because she never really belonged in New Hampshire and things make more sense with her living with Dot and Taj in Boston. She also seems a lot happier living with Dot, because she no longer has to live a lie.
Also, I never thought she was actually going to go and find her father and her sister, but now that she got the information on where they are from Ronnie, it seems as though she might actually find them. Then, I think she's probably going to hook up with Ali which is a good thing, because she said she couldn't let a white man "inside her".
Finally, I think that she has finally made her transformation back to Birdie Lee after six years, because she has stopped telling so many lies and has opened up to Dot, Ali, and Ronnie. Because of this, I think the reason that she cannot go back to live with her mother is that her mother is still living a lie, and Birdie doesn't want to go back to that. I can see a happy ending coming up, but Mr. Kunkle said that it was a twisted ending so I don't know whats going to happen.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

After six years apart, I also thought that Birdie would never get to try to find her family again. Sandy kind of moved on and started dating Jim. Birdie never forgot and began to feel like an outsider. She decided to run away to track down her family, which I didn't think would happen.

Abby said...

Those are excellent guesses. I'm afraid that Cole will be dead or that they'll be completely disconnected, because that'd be a really bad twist.

I agree that she seems better off now that she's not living a lie.

gratru-an animal similar to a water buffalo.

Becca K. said...

I agree that Birdie really needed to leave her mom and stop living the lie that was destroying her true identity, but I don't think she has transformed back into Birdie Lee. After she left New Hampshire, it seemed that everyone she saw and everything she did reminded her in some way of her life as Jesse. I think that those six years as this white girl caused her to actually become her in a way. Deep inside her, Birdie Lee is still waiting, but it will take more that just returning to Boston to change her. I honestly think that she needs people to feel bad for her, to tell her that she shouldn't have had to pass, to show her that she is Birdie Lee and not Jesse Goldman.

Katie B. said...

I agree that Birdie doesn't belong in NH. I felt kind of relieved when she went back to Boston for the same reason, she doesn't have to live a lie anymore. I always hoped she'd be able to make it back to Cole and Deck, it would have been kind of dissapointing if they had been dead or something. It would have made it more interesting though...

Katie B. said...

I agree that Birdie doesn't belong in NH. I felt kind of relieved when she went back to Boston for the same reason, she doesn't have to live a lie anymore. I always hoped she'd be able to make it back to Cole and Deck, it would have been kind of dissapointing if they had been dead or something. It would have made it more interesting though...